ReVisioning- Utilizing Our Most Revolutionary Tool in the Resistance
Curricula compiled and Conceptualized by Jana Lynne “JL” Umipig (www.janalynnecreativeproductions.com)
Full Curricula as a Doc. File and Supplementary Hand Outs Found Here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9CDbYZlCoGZSWtTRnJfQ2pmV2M?usp=sharing
INTRODUCTIONS and CHECK-IN: Who are you, Introduce Yourself and your Personal Pronouns and what is something that you want to call into the space to energize and uplift our gathering today?
Tool for Entire Workshop: ONGOING KNOWLEDGE COLLECTION: Have participants take out a piece of paper and let it be their place they can take notes and in particular have them write down questions that come up for them throughout the day that they want answered. This will be an invitation for them to find the answers, from each other beyond the space cultivated, or for
ACTIVITY #1 OPENING: RELEASE, RE-MEMBER, RECLAIM
|Materials Needed||Physical Capacities (**Check-in and let folks know to do as much as they are physically able, and create adjustments for those with physical disabilities to adjust to the movements asked in this exercise), open minds, and open hearts|
|Space Preparation||Make sure that they have their hands and bodies free and that they have space to move around them.|
This is a condensed version from the exercise of Release- in the curriculum “Release, Re-Member, Reclaim–Healing the Activist (Curriculum for Holding and Uplifting Leaders in All Communities)” (Insert Link: https://kayumanggingapilipina.com/2016/11/12/release-re-member-reclaim-healing-the-activist-curriculum-for-holding-and-uplifting-leaders-in-all-communities/ )
(*If you have a mixed class with Trump Supporters, do the Awareness exercise first and then you can use this tool for reflection)
STEP 1: You can do this in exchange in many ways- the two options that I want to offer are
- This is a good choice for groups that know one another very well: Make two concentric circles, an inner circle and an outer circle. Where there are pairings of two, one person in the inner and another in the outer. Have them face one another. For each question you will rotate the inner or outer circle so that they are facing a new partner for each question.
- This is a good choice for groups that are new to knowing one another or mixed- it allows them the opportunity to leave with at least one person who they connected with deeply: Pair up, you will be building with one
STEP 2: Each question will have an action in place with it, these actions naturally support release. Use them to help your soul be supported with release of your words.
Questions to ask:
- ACTION: Shake your hands, arms, feet, legs out as you speak there as if you are shaking these things off your body
QUESTION: Release any feelings and thoughts you have regarding the days that have passed in connection to the inauguration of D. Trump.
- ACTION: Jump up and down, as if you are putting your words down into the earth with each landing.
QUESTION: What issue do you feel is affecting you most personally in relation to the human rights violations Trump has set up?
- ACTION: Use the motion of wiping off of skin downward to the ground, imagine that you are taking it off your body, your spirit
QUESTION: What is a hard conversation you have had to have, or one that got you really emotional?
- ACTION: As you listen put your hand on your partner’s shoulder
QUESTION: What are the things you have done in the past week in response? What have you done for yourself and for your communities (your family, your friends, your children, etc)?
- ACTION: Hold the hand of your partner.
QUESTION: What is something you read or heard or witnessed in connection to the Presidency that you feel has troubled you most?
- ACTION: Sit with your partner and hold their hand
QUESTION: What is something you read or heard or witnessed that has given you hope?
- ACTION: Stand together and hold both hands
QUESTION: What is your most important
SEE: BEGIN WITH AWARENESS
To being ReVisioning, we have to start with being aware, to understand how the visions of others may not serve our own. We have to understand what roots policies being in place. Many of the policies that the Trump Administration are administering are rooted in ideals that are divisive, hateful, charged with fear, ideas of White Supremacy and Patriarchy, false notions of patriotism that insight violence, and are centered around Capitalism and Corporate gain. Really seeing this laid out helps us to know what we are up against- and allows us to work in a way of not just Resistance and Reaction, but also invites us to Vision.
ACTIVITY #2- THE POWER OF KNOWING: KNOWLEDGE AS A LIBERATION TOOL
|Materials Needed||· “Community Issues Resistance Knowledge Poster” Hand-Outs (THIS WILL BE A RUNNING DOCUMENT THAT WILL BE EDITED PERIODICALLY IN CONNECTION TO THE RESIST MANUAL)
· “How Trump’s Platforms Have Direct Effect on Me” Hand- Out
|Space Preparation||Hang up the posters, or chart them on larger posters around the room|
These are ongoing tools of awareness, you can put up a version of this in your school, community center, your home, on your computer desktop, allow it to give you reason to not be complacent to this administration and why action is necessary.
STEP 1- Community Issues Resistance Knowledge: Have the group take time to look over the posters on the walls or on the floor in the room. Tell them it is important for them to think on what it is striking them, what did they know, what did they not understand?
***You can also print these out and give them to your participants to take home with them.
For each Community Issue, there will be the following- look to attached Google Doc “Community Issues Resistance Knowledge Poster” documents for the created on-going visual documents for this exercise/tool (Insert Link)
If you want to rework this tool, these are what will be included in the document:
- Community Issue
- Policies That Have Been Passed and When (* = passed by executive order)
- Who it Affects
- Resources for Resistance and Action, What They Have
3 Daily Actions
For all of these issues there are will be 3 things you can do with ease:
- Call- Numbers will be listed with any script available for calls to be made – otherwise look for numbers of Congress persons in your location.
- Conversation- These are topics you can bring up to speak on in connection to this issue
- Post – these are hashtags and groups/ individuals to follow
Community Issues that will be addressed are as follows (Key Resource: Resistance Manua- https://www.resistancemanual.org/Resistance_Manual_Homel )
*Already Addressed by Executive Orders *Pending
CONNECT: VIOLATION OF RIGHTS FOR SOME, IS THE VIOLATION OF RIGHTS FOR ALL
This part of the curricula is all about seeing ourselves in connection to these violations in a deeper way how does this relate to our everyday, how do they effect the closest people in our lives? How does this effect the progress that has been made by our his/herstory and the ancestors and what they have faced, that are we continuing to face? How does this effect our children in the future, the generations to come?
STEP 1- How Trump’s Platforms Have Direct Effect On Me:
Pass out the “How Trump’s Platforms Have Direct Effect On Me” Hand-Outs
Have Participants look to their lives in reflection and choose 3 of these issues around the room.
(*Choose 2 that affect you most directly and 1 that you can make a connection to in the scope of your community, and your greater humanity)
This is a reflection sheet, to allow of us to see and analyze how these policies affect us. Take the opportunity to really understand the policies on the way that they affect you personally here, but also reflect deeply on how they affect us all on a larger scale. Remember: “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”- Martin Luther King Jr.
Questions Posed on the Worksheets-
How do these policies affect your everyday life and your abilities to do, say, and live how you always have? What of your freedoms are being validated?
|MIND and SPIRIT
How do these policies affect your mentality? What kinds of worries and fears do you have around these?
How do these policies affect others in your life? Why does it matter to you that they are being effected?
If you could counter these policies what would you advocate for?
STEP 2 Small Group Reflection: Split into small groups of 3-5 depending on how many participants there are and share how you have connected your lives to the knowledge of violations being implemented by the Trump Administration. Allow for conversation to deepen.
STEP 3 Whole Group: Bring the group back together to share and create dialogue of what came up in their groups, look for the most crucial connections that have been made thus far.
REVISIONING: CREATE YOUR LIFE INTO EXISTENCE
This is where we begin to work together in a way that is not just about how to counter the Trump Administration’s work. Now we move in a direction of understanding what we have, what makes us powerful, what makes our communities powerful and we are going to map this out for ourselves so we can see and make tangible the power that is our existence.
ACTIVITY #3- EmPowerment Mapping
|Materials Needed||· “EmPowerment Mapping” Guide- Printed Out as a Handout AND Put it Up on a Large Sheet
· Large Paper for Each Participant
· Optional: Collaging Materials- For More Artistic Expressions
|Space Preparation||· Open Space
· Tables Can be Set Up
· Create a Creatively Stimulating Playlist
· Put Materials Out for Accessibility
This exercise is all about creating connections. And is a creative exercise as well. There will be an “EmPowerment Mapping” Guide- Printed Out as a Handout and Put up on a Large Sheet for reference. This guide is just that, a guide, and you can arrange this content the way that makes most sense to you, something you would want to put up in your home, your workspace. If you want to categorize folks and make a list, do that- if you want to arrange the names of people in your life around you and make symbols that represent what they provide for you like on this guide- do that! Be free with your expression.
THE PEOPLE THAT EMPOWER YOU IN YOUR LIFE:
- MENTAL EMPOWERMENT- These are the people who have or who continue to contribute to our Knowing and affirm our Values and Ideas that we have formulated about the world? Who are the teachers in our lives? Who are the people who we feel give to our ability to Know? Who are those that challenge and expand our Knowing?
- SPIRITUAL EMPOWERMENT – These are those that create Exchange in our Passion Areas, that ground us and uplift us. These are the people that believe in who we are and that we have power within us to do. These are the people we grow with, whose betterment and liberation are bound with ours. Who are the collaborators in our lives? Who are the people who show up and who root for you? Who are the people who encourage you to do what makes you happy in the world?
- PHYSICAL EMPOWERMENT – These are the people that take care of you. These are the individuals who keep you well in a sense of healthy living. These are the people who understand that when you are in optimal health, then you can serve better and deeper. Who are the people who care about your health? Who are the people you can go to have a good meal- that feed you? Who are the people that provide space for you to rest, to take pause, to reflect and recharge? Who are the people you exercise and train with?
- JUSTICE EMPOWERMENT – These are the people who connect to your care around Justice. These are the individuals who share your values and your politics. These are the people who you can go to, to talk politics and to be kept updated and in line. Who are the people you go to seek conversations around Justice? Who are the people that are willing to CHECK YOU, to INVITE YOU IN to a conversation that will make you examine your words, your actions and the way that they connect to justice? Who are the people in your life that you can seek news and resources that are credible to you and that keep you aware and critical?
ACTIVITY #4- “I AM” The Most Powerful Statement We Can Make
|Materials Needed||· “I AM” The Most Powerful Statement We Can Make Hand Out
· Pens and Pencils
|Space Preparation||· Open Space
· Tables Can be Set Up
· Put up chart paper with the questions below
The vision of Change should begin centered in self-understanding of who we are in the world. What are the ways in which we speak, act, live with justice guiding our intentions? This is the time to be creative, to be in vision, to ReVision what has been what has driven our movements in the world.
Standing in who we are is one of the greatest acts of resistance. When we live in the “I AM” that supports our vision and not the “I AM” that keeps us in roles, confinements and states of victimization that are built by oppression and supported by hate, indifference, violence from colonial, patriarchal, white supremacist, capitalistic structures.
STEP 1: “I AM” The Most Powerful Statement We Can Make Hand Out and allow yourselves to answer the following questions:
- Who Am I?
- The Roles I Hold – Who do I serve in this Role? (Feel Free to include specific names)
- What are my Skills and Talents?
- What am I passionate about?
- What is your Vision?
- What do you hope for in the world?
- What are the things you stand for?
- What do you want to create?
STEP 2: MAKE A DECLARATION
Begin here. Answering for yourself in no more than a 3-5 Line Statement:
“Who am I? And what type of World do I Vision? How do I contribute to that Vision?”
Creating your Vision and standing in your truth make your actions more powerful and rooted. Life shifts with the shifting of mindset. It begins here.
Something as simple as the way we eat shifts with our vision in place solidly. Even our fantasies change, when our vision is in line with justice, and we see that we can serve even in the smallest ways, we have no other choice but to do, to act, to live more intentionally than ever before.
ACTIVITY #5 – Ceating My Revolutionary Existence (Personal Plan of Action- Daily)
|Materials Needed||· Creating My Revolutionary Existence Hand-Out|
|Space Preparation||· Open Space
· Tables Can be Set Up
· Create a Creatively Stimulating Playlist
This part of the curricula invites us to charge our Daily Living with our visions. How can we look at our day today and understand how placing our Vision at the Center of all we do gives us the opportunity and agency to create an Existence that is Revolutionary.
STEP 1: Use the Creating My Revolutionary Existence Hand-Out to think on how your Daily schedule looks like.
What does a Day to Day look like for you?
What are the different activities that fill your day?
Think of EVERYTHING:
- What time do you have your meals, where do you have them?
- What time do you sleep, what are your routines around this?
- Who do you see often?
- What do you do at School? Your Job?
- What do you do to unwind?
- What does a moment on Social Media Look Like for you?
STEP 2: Think about how you can shift the way you do the things you listed that happen in your Daily existence. If you did these things in service of your Vision, how might it change the way you do them?
Every action, every word, every breath, of your existence can contribute to the revolution.
When we prepare our meals, when we meet to train and exercise our bodies, when we hold our children, when we listen to our elders, when we take time to pause, rest and sleep, when we hold our partner’s hand, when we tell a friend we are here for them, when we sit in community and family in presence and in conversation, when we play and laugh and enjoy, when we take a moment to breathe in the air deeply, when we feel the earth connecting to our feet, when we let the sun embrace us, or the rain wash us, when we say thank you in our prayers for this life we’ve been given- we are contributing to the Revolution. Don’t let anyone take away our freedoms to do these things that make life so miraculous and wonderful.
Do all these things with fullness and Love. Revolution begins here- in us.
Fill the following boxes on the Hand Out with intentions about how you will shift the way you do the things you mentioned in your Daily Routines lead by your Vision, feel free to also remove some of the activities you listed- and add new things that you want to do on your daily.
CLOSING MESSAGE FROM JL:
Indifference is our greatest enemy right now and inaction is what will be our detriment. Understand that Action does not only have to come from the pushing for and rejecting of Policy. We need folks to work on that level, yes, petitioning, lobbying, attending town halls and public forums. We also need people in the street protesting in large demonstrations stopping the regularly scheduled programs. We need people who are providing accountable press with full representation of the voices in our communities. We need brothers and sisters to be providing direct services and seeking ways to provide direct services for health, wellness, shelter and all basic needs of living. We need teachers to be bringing awareness to our students, to be instilling in them the agency to make their own movements and create their own Actions. We need all these impactful Actions to be happening
And also- Action has to begin at home. Action has to being with you.
How are you working in your own households, schools, religious institutions, community spaces and work places to address and act in a way that promotes just learnings and behaviors, that breaks down the presence of intolerance- that does not accept Racism, White Supremacy, Sexism, Homophobia, Xenophobia, or any other forms of Hate and Violence on other human beings?
How are you promoting care and protection of our natural resources, our Mother Earth, our sources of living- the Earth, the Waters, the Skies and Air we breathe?
Actions come in conversations, they come in artistic expressions and sharing space with communities. Actions come in reading and researching to find understanding of the larger picture and multiple perspectives, they come in connecting with your neighbors. Actions happen on Social Media, when we share, when we speak out, when we challenge the unjust.
Action comes from being present for those in your life, holding space for them to grieve and to feel that they are not alone, whether it be on in person, on the phone, or in a exchange of messages.
Action is taking moments to care for yourself, to work on your own self preservation, sleeping, eating well, being out doors, exercising, taking time to do something you Love, praying, hugging the people you Love.
There is so much to do right now brothers and sisters. It’s time to do it; wherever you are, with whatever capacity you have. Be in Action.
We are together.